We LOVE to save biodegradable items from landfill! Especially because most of them can be used to feed our animals or to feed the soil. It's a win-win!
Pigs will eat almost anything. A few things to avoid:
- avocado pits
- citrus skins/rinds
- tea bags
- coffee grounds
- large amounts of raw potatoes
All other food scraps can go in the bucket:
- liquids: milk, juice, etc.
- egg shells
- raw foods
- cooked foods
- spoiled foods
- burned foods
- potato peelings
How it works:
Drop off your full bucket at our farm stand and take home a clean bucket. Anytime!
A quick text to 571-420-1298 is helpful, to alert us that a full bucket is waiting at the stand.
Other items we'll happily accept:
- Pumpkins and gourds - can be fed to pigs or chickens or composted. More details here.
- Corn stalks - can be fed to pigs or composted
- Straw bales - can be used as livestock bedding, garden mulch, or composted
- Fall leaves - wonderful for the gardens and compost pile
- Grass clippings - wonderful for the gardens and compost pile
- Christmas trees - can be fed to goats, composted, chipped for garden use, or burned. More details here.